Sunday, March 22, 2009

A View from Civilization


Click image for larger view...

...just finished watching the climatic end of Battlestar Galatica. I've watched this from it's beginning in my dorm in the 1980's with a packed crowd of RMC cadets (mostly Engineers and artsie types) hanging on every word. I've watched it with grown kids in my home in the 2000's. I've watched as 'Everything that has happened will happen again." :-)

On a walk-about downtown, I slipped across the bridge to the Museum of Civilization. Saw this panorama while looking across the river and thought of the cycle of things; how power & pride revolve around fall & ruin and sweep back into building & growth. Not a desperately sad thought if you realize we always find a way to pick up and carry on. Quite an amazing thing... this cycle we as individuals follow, as families, as nations.

It struck me that our nation's captial buildings are framed on one side by buildings filled with a history of civilization and on the other a bridge between two cultural nations. One side of this bridge is rooted in a city forest of buildings, the other extends to trees and nature. Kinda artsy but in context of this theme of cycles it resonated.

Here's a few others in a slideshow. Hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan Ward

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada