Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Letters behind a name, or, "What have you done lately?"


A good friend of mine, Peter Peets, described his route to photography and asked a question related to running a photography business.

"... any thoughts on getting photography accreditation - any value in that?"

Here's my long-winded 2c worth...
_________________________________________

Thank you for your comments, Peter. You’re very kind.

Your history with photography is a similar one I’ve heard from several photogs who in later years blossom into significant talents. It’s a passion that once ignited never goes out. Oddly enough, I too was in a high school camera club. I spent many spare periods in the darkroom inhaling chemicals and spinning spools of film. Uncharacteristically however, I did not move back into photography directly. It was only seven years ago that I took up sketching; mostly charcoal/pencil stuff.

It was while studying compositional rules and techniques for adding meaning and interest in artwork that it really dawned on me that photography uses the same principles. In fact, it represented for me a more pure form of art where manual dexterity (or lack thereof) did not limit the expression of a message. The wonder and curse of popular access to digital cameras and tools has allowed this form of art a flourishing growth. It’s opened vaults of artistic talent in millions of common folk. I love it.

You asked about the value of getting photography accreditation. As far as I can tell there are several reasons a photographer would seek accreditation:
1. To gain media access to events.
2. To impress and reassure clients.
3. To impress and reassure oneself.

Media access is a valuable thing if you’re after editorial work. I am associated with a sports photography company (Action Sport International) that gives me access to official events like games, marathons, etc. I haven’t done any events yet but look forward to the challenge. I’ve also approached a national magazine and may yet score something there.

Impressing clients is a funny thing. In truth, the best assurances for good work come from referrals. Nevertheless, a few letters on your business card and web site helps to give an overall image of professionalism. I’ve belonged to the local camera club which gives me membership to Canadian Association for Photographic Arts, CAPA. I also used a production company for wedding and portraits, Pictage. So, combined I could use the phrase, ‘accredited member of AIS, CAPA, and Pictage’. That’s a nice set of letters. Doesn’t change my images and as far as I can tell didn’t get any more clients but perhaps in an unseen way, it added credibility. Don’t know. The only real value I got was in access to their services such as mentoring/instruction, publications, etc. That’s definitely worth it.

Impressing myself is a constant challenge. Not that my standards are all that high but by nature of my own proximity to myself, I’ve seen everything before. (lol) Seriously, the greatest pleasure I get is in finding/making an image that, like a funny punch line, surprises me. It should happen more often and I’m working on stretching myself into new areas. Second greatest pleasure is having others see something of worth in these favourite shots. The last pleasure is getting paid for it so I can sustain this adventure.

In the end, it only matters what we are able to in the next photo shoot. Letters behind our name won't do that, just the gray matter behind the lens.


----------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan Ward

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada