Saturday, November 14, 2009

My country, my quiet Canada.

It was a beautiful, cold, fall morning here in Eastern Ontario. I was fortunate to capture some images of the gentle countryside out back of my local town. It's a hidden pastoral paradise five minutes from the din of high tech business.


Just beyond these trees (above) there was a field filled with geese gobbling their morning gossip. This cornfield offered rest, fallen kernels, and avian social networking. The concenus was that they didn't like my presense much and took to flight. The sound of wind raised by their wings swept across the fields.

Milky. That's the feeling I got when squinting into the sun's blast to see this morning field.


As I mentioned in a recent tweet, it's often a hit or miss thing with shooting landscape. In the field, you see things differently, more emotionally. The wideness of each vista is somehow able to spread beyond vision and into the heart. It's not often that I get the same feeling on reviewing the files on the computer. But this next one, with the bare trees against the sky, the turned fields flat and ready, the trimmed grass, they all speak of land bleak and bare; yet one that people have loved. To me, it came out close to what I felt.


I have another image I'm working on from a shoot several days ago. I'm not sure what I think of it. I'm letting it steep like tea. Time tells a better story. I hope to share it when it's ready.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dan Ward

My photo
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada